Reflection on Emptiness (Short one-act play)

The scene starts with two man inside an empty room, neither one has any idea why they are there, and for what reason? 

Man: The light, it shines so brightly! Let me close the blind and end my plight! Yet, the cord is missing, how can I fix it?

The Stranger: The blinds remain open.

Man: I can see that.

The Stranger: It remains open.

Man: I noticed after you informed me of the fact, do you ever pay attention?

The Stranger: Blind and yet blinded.

Man: Understood sir, who ever you are? The concept has dawned on me. As a matter of fact, I do not even know why I am in this room or who you are?

The Stranger: Do you not know?

Man: Know what?!?!?! I found myself here upon waking, and only you as my neighbor.

The Stranger: It seems the same has happened to me.

Man: Well, that is a question that needs an answer at the moment.

The Stranger: An answer?

Man: Yes, the final product of a question, the birthed gift from deducing the factors. Basically, discover the meaning of our predicament.

The Stranger: Predicament? Is there a reason to not feel at ease?

Man: What do you mean, how can you not feel unnerved by the situation? We both wake inside an empty room, with only one window with a broken drawstring!! And there is no one to answer our questions!!

The Stranger: Can we not do that ourselves? Is it not logical that two minds working in sync, should be able to solve a mystery with more ease?

Man: Perhaps, but there are no clues to make an assessment of the situation.

The Stranger: Look back into your memories, and reveal factors that can present the answer you seek.

Man: But I have no memory of the before, only of this time and place, which is little at most.

The Stranger: Try harder, the memories are trapped, waiting to be triggered into existence.

Man: They linger, flutter about the grey matter as I search, yet nothing presents to me that answers my question.

The Stranger: Observe the obvious, you have hands, legs, a body, and a mind in which to think. Cut the darkness through illuminated perception.

Man: I understand your meaning, however, the fact is we still remain trapped in this accursed room, with a light shining as a million Suns would! On top of it, a blind that is broken!

The Stranger: Not broken, just lost.

Man: What do you mean lost?

The Stranger: The blind remains in position, functioning its predisposed task. However, it is not. The blind keeps working, knowing not the pain of being tired.

Man: But how can it be lost? Why does it not know pain?

The Stranger: When it perceives the truth of its existence, then it will find freedom. Here lies the answer you seek.

Comments

Popular Posts